Home Take Action Innocence Links Press Releases FL Execution Information Search Get Involved Local Groups Reports DP in the News U.S. Execution Information Yes Florida, There is an ALTERNATIVE to the Death Penalty
Below are the latest action requests from FADP.
If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com
Another man is free from Florida’s death row.
Michael Mordenti walked out of Union Correctional Institution at .
FADP asks you to take THREE ACTIONS TODAY:
Please call the news room of your local newspaper. Ask to speak with the editor who covers STATE news. Ask that person if they are aware that the 26th innocent prisoner was just released from death row, and then ask them to please cover the story. We have no details, but we expect a press conference soon – the story should be on the wires if the paper’s Tallahassee reporter is unable to make it.
Write a brief letter to the editor, making one to three of the following points:
- On ____, 2005, Michael Mordenti was released after serving more than 13 years on Florida’s death row for a crime he did not commit, making him the 26th prisoner to be exonerated and released from a death sentence in Florida since 1972. Florida leads the nation in wrongful convictions.
- Urge Governor Jeb Bush to declare an immediate moratorium on executions.
- Urge Floridians to educate themselves about this issue by visiting the Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty web page at www.FADP.org or by calling 800-973-6548.
- Urge that the law be changed to not allow the death penalty in cases where a single witness provides all of the evidence, and especially not when that witness is a potential defendant in the same case. In the Mordenti case, another potential defendant was given immunity from prosecution in exchange for her testimony against Mordenti.
- Urge accountability and responsibility on the part of public officials. In the Mordenti case, the prosecutor hid evidence from the defense, the court, and the jury, misleading them about the credibility of the main witness against Michael Mordenti. Such behavior should never be tolerated. When prosecutors cheat and lie to send the wrong person to prison, they leave the real murderer free to hurt more innocent people.
Write a simple, hand written note to Governor Jeb Bush expressing concern about the number of death row exonerations in Florida, and urging an immediate moratorium on executions, including the three upcoming executions. The address is:
These articles are listed with the most recent at the top.
Both sides rest in murder trial
Attorneys Try To Discredit Defendant’s Ex-Wife
Being Asked To Recruit Hit Man Not `A Nice Thing,’ Witness Says
Star witness again names ex-husband
Wife Testifies In Murder-For-Hire Case
Third trial for Mordenti begins
Man won’t face death penalty in third trial
Whom to believe? Jury couldn’t decide
Mistrial Ends Murder Retrial
Mistrial for Mordenti
Jury deadlocks in Hillsborough murder trial
Are Mordenti’s own words the key?
Romantic linkage key to defense strategy
i’s former wife: ‘He did it’
Convicted killer faces accuser at new trial
‘Hard cash’ drove murder plot, prosecutor says as retrial starts
Evidence shapes retrial in murder
Prosecutors will retry man in murder plot
13 years on death row, now new trial
On death row [to index]
Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
2603 NW 13th St (AKA Dr. MLK Jr. Hwy)
Gainesville, FL 32609
Copyright ©2004 FADP. All rights reserved.
Designed & Hosted by: Support FADP and contact Computer Partners for Web Design & Hosting, eCommerce and Search Engine Optimization.